Thursday, August 6, 2009

I am here!!!







David and I had a wonderful two weeks getting to Eagle River, Alaska. I will tell you that the scenery through South Dakota and Montana is boring!!! Mount Rushmore was spectacular. We learned a lot about excavating and stone carving. The cowboys must have liked it because it was so flat and boring. We took an extra side trip to Sturgis, SD. This is the motor cycle captial of the USA. I liked this Harley the best! You will notice the tee shirt. It was in the 90's the entire time we went from South Dakota to Anchorage!! We only packed warm weather clothes. Then we stayed a night in Banff, Canada. It is so quaint and friendly. Then we traveled the Alaska-Canada highway. It took us three 12-hour driving days to get to through Canada to Anchorage. David thought the Alcon highway was his personal autobaun. he proudly states, "Not one car passed me while on the Alaska-Canadian highway". Need I mention what speed he traveled? This is a very desolate highway (two lane and mostly gravel paved). We paid close attention to the gas gauge since there were very few stops for gas or motels. As we drove this desolate highway we were surrounded by beautiful mountain ranges and exceptional glaciers. We still can't figure out why the snow stays on some mountains but not on others. We met up with a friendly moose along the way. He was at least 7 feet tall and huge. We also so buffalo, bear, deer, reindeers, mountain sheep and more moose. Then more moose. How many pictures of a moose do I need?
We unpacked my stuff in 8 hours and continued to sight see some more. We went to Girdwood to view and explore the glaciers, climb Mount Alayska. It was spectacular way up there. Then we paid $12 to go through the 3 mile one lane mountain tunnel in Whittier. They run that tunnel on a very tight schedule. The one lane is shared by trains, trucks pulling boats, winnebagos, and cars. It is very tight fit. Whittier is where most of the cruise ships stop. Whittier isknown for the "calving " of the glaciers. This means watching parts of the glaciers fall off into the ocean. We have been into Anchorage to eat delicious fresh halibut or salamon. Anchorage is about 14 miles from my house and it has everything you need; shopping, culture, museums, oceans, great food, biking and hiking paths. Lion King, the play, will be here for a month! It was only in Memphis for a long weekend!!
David and I had to adjust to the 24 hours of light. We got so busy doing things in the light that we forgot to look at our watches. We found ourselves traipsing up and down the stairs without a care in the world. Then we looked at the clock and noticed it was 11:30 at night. It was so light I couldn't believe it was almost midnight. Don't forget I am 3 hours behind you all in Memphis, 4 hours behind Knoxville and Florida.
I went to my school yesterday. I like my principal, Kim. She is from Southern Florida. This school, Susitna, is only about 4 years old. I met some of my students, Hopik, Tang, Eleanor, and Philip. I plan on going to my second school tomorrow. I will keep you posted.
I am going to lcose. I would love for all of you to keep in touch. My second bedroom is ready for guests. Come on up for a visit.
Until later....
LUV
Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment