Sunday, August 30, 2009

30 August





























P.S. My photos get put in backwards. Sorry.
I hope everyone is doing well. I have learned a bunch of new information about Alaska (Anchorage and points beyond) to share. First of all, you all will be glad to know weathermen are the same no matter where you live. I want to be a weatherman and get paid to be wrong!! The weather prediction all week was "big rains" and you know I got a drizzle on my way to school two mornings. I never saw drops or "big rain" all week. Then at the 10 pm news that talked about all the rain. Where was I? I still haven't met anyone who can answer my question about Anchorage weather. On Thursday evening I sat outside with my neighbors. The kids were "grilling" smores after dinner. So it was 8:30 - 9:30 at night, the sun was up, and the temperature was 55 - 58 degrees. We are all sitting around in shorts, I had a sleeveless top and flip flops on. We sat around for about an hour. I never got cold. I was in a sleeveless shirt!!!! If I was in TN and it was 55 - 58 degrees I would have on pants and a sweatshirt. All I can ponder is there is no humidity so it doesn't feel cold here. You know, like Arizona has dry heat! They are wrong about that - it is HOT in Arizona. I have been told this lovely weather will change! So I bought snow pants this week. Winter sales are in full gear - no pun intended.

So Alaska put in a health education program in the schools two years ago as part of the 7 year plan State education plan for AK. Have you ever had one of those days when you have drank as much water as you can possible drink and all you want is some form of a carbonated drink (pop or soda)? Well, I had one of those carbonated moments last week and searched the entire school for a soda machine. Charles, a teacher, said, "You are the health teacher, why do you want a soda?" I responded because I am a human before I am health teacher. I also reminded Charles that healthy is eating anything you want just so you do it in moderation. All I wanted was a soda so badly. Well, unbeknown st to me, when AK implemented health education, all snack machines and soda machines were removed from EVERY building. I mean every building. There are no snack/soda machines in the central office or high schools. No where!!! But in about 1/2 the schools there are "coffee shops" . The central office hires 2 full time people to run the "Coffee Bean" shop. They don't offer soda, just coffee, smoothies and water. Isn't coffee bad for a person too if they over do it. I watched several ladies walk away with large coffees with a pile of whipped cream on them. Let's talk healthy!!!!! Thank goodness every room in my school has a full kitchen. (stove,range,sink, dishwasher and small refridge). I will have to store a carbonated soda in my class.

I have two new students. I hope you are sitting down. Their names are Walmart and Target. I kid you not!!! My principal said, "Thank goodness their last name wasn't SEARS!" She is really funny and has a quick wit. One of the ladies I teach with is native. Here is her last name. Give it a try. Kairaiuak. It is pronounced Guy High a Walk. I told you learning the language will be tricky!!

The next thing I heard was "the school sitters" are gone. Have you ever heard of school sitters? I have heard of house sitters, dog/cat sitter, and babysitters but school sitters? You got it. These are families that are PAID to live in the schools when school is closed (summer time, winter break and spring break). Wow, now that would be fun - living in the school - UGH!!! Apparently it is a lottery system for families who live in tents all other times of the year. They appreciate the few months when they get a real shelter. Our school does not have a shower room but I guess that would not be a high priority to them. No air conditioning either. But since it stays in the upper 70's or low 80's, fans work wonders. They are thankful for being able to use electricity, running water and a kitchen. Now don't you appreciate what we take for granted a bit more. Amazing!! This program started in the bush because some schools were vandalized during the summer time so it turned into a win/win situation for families and the schools.

The Alaska State Fair started this weekend. Wow! that was interesting. One of the teachers that joined us lives next door to Sarah Palin. That is a big deal to some people. The Palin's live in Wasilla. If you blink you will miss the town. It has one strip mall in all of Wasilla. The houses are interesting as well. Most of the homes started as a two bedroom starter home. Then the owners add on over and over again. Why? Because a lot of the people who live in Wasilla and "out cities" only work during the fishing season. They don't work the rest of the year. They receive "PDF" (a payment from the oil companies) every June and that holds them over. Last year every person (infant - elders) received $4000. Back to housing, so if they family grows (of course it grows what else do you do when it is 24 hours dark and freezing cold!) the man adds on another room. So Palin's house is nice but there are a lot of add-ons. Apparently Levi is no longer living in part of this household! The names of her children are named after the small villages (towns) nearby Wasilla.

The "rich" part of the "out cities" is Palmer (next door to Wasilla). Palmer has a Chili's restaurant and that is something to celebrate. They also have a Sportsman's Warehouse! Woo Whoo!! Palmer has some really big and nice homes. They are all owned by "The Russians". The Russians are visibility dominate in this area. Not only are the Russians dominant so is MJ. Apparently you can grow marijuana legally but only for personal consumption. Yah Right!!! Palmer and Wasilla have these big barns all over the place. The only thing missing is cattle. So what are the barns for? To dry the marijuana. Alaska is different - not necessarily better but different. They call it "Recycling". That is a far reach from what I think of when I hear the word recycle.

So the fair was interesting. My first ever State Fair. I looked on the web site to find directions. It said, and I quote, "follow the highway and the signs to the Alaska State Fair in Palmer." Well I got lost. I never saw a sign. I did find a Shell Station and they directed me in the correct direction. The kids all wanted to go to the rides and the families all "oooed" and "awwwhed" at the vegetable and animal contestants. I put on several pictures for your enjoyment. The pumpkin is 303 pounds!!!! Now that is a pumpkin. Michelangelo could carve the "Last Supper" on this pumpkin. The cabbage was over 6 feet tall. My gosh they grow them big up here. The pig is 800 pounds and he just turned 1 year old on Saturday. Now that is the life. I got to pet and then brush the pygmy goat and got a lesson on the mohair sweater industry. Quite interesting. I have never seen a turkey up close let alone a white turkey. This is the handsome Tom through the cage. Isn't he colorful? The goat loved me and wanted me to take a lot of pictures! For those of you BBQ lovers, wouldn't this pink pig smoker look great at the Memphis BBQ feast? I think we should put together an all girls team and use the Pink grill. We could be called the Pink Ladies of the Evening!!! The flowers were spectacular. I am not the photographer that Ray Albinetti is but I couldn't help but pass along one of these amazing specimen. The "bungee seat" was a very popular ride. I got seasick just watching them. I ate my way through the Fair. Isn't that what you are suppose to do. I had "peanut potatoes". Potato wedges fried in peanut oil. I will avoid them in the future. They cooked with a lot of potato chips at the fair. I ate homemade bread, ,very thin, which was placed over the crunched up potato chips, then smothered in cheese, tomatoes and olives. Heated and quite tasty. Then the corn on a cob, quite good. Then the flavored popcorn. I wasn't wild about the chili/Parmesan cheese flavor. And finally, ice cream. I have been told in the bush (mostly North Slope) that it is made from whale or seal blubber with bits of chocolate (bitter) and doesn't taste good at all. But in Palmer, the ice cream was made from WHOLE milk and talk about rich. So they make a version of a waffle cone only in a bowl shape, pour HOT berries (I had raspberries) and then the ice cream and then another scoop of hot berries. It was delicious!!! I would go back for that. Did I mention it was berry season here. Blueberries and raspberries are in full bloom. Almost every booth selling things was Alaskan made (purses, sweaters, hats, soaps, etc.) The games were exactly what I expected (arcade-like) and the rides were plentiful. The State Fair was a great way to spend the day (10 hours) but it is nothing like 6 Flags or Disney World. All in all fun. I was invited to go halibut fishing (bed/breakfast and fishing) and I will probably participate. I told them I don't own anything fishing and I don't touch worms or fish. They laughed. I mentioned I have the thigh high waders and fish coat ! I will look good. I also said I must be able to talk if we are going to be on the boat all day. They said we can take a boom box if we want. All girls (4) fishing weekend. Something new to try!!

So my last photo is out my back door last night (Saturday) about 11:30 pm. Is that a beautiful sunset? I appreciate every minute I am here. I feel I have been transported to this inspiring area to grow inside and out. I have been working on my Yu'pik. Here is one of my favorite words - it means glorious. I can't spell it because there are too many vowels but it is pronounced
ah speee ah kaa. Use your voice inflection on the second AHHHHHH and hold it a few seconds. It means splendid, glorious or wonderful.

Enjoy. Have a wonderful week and Labor Day weekend. I am going to canoe the fjords and hike the glaciers. I will up-date my blog after my adventures. Thanks for letting me share a bit about Alaska.

1 comment:

  1. I am so enjoying your posts. You know I love that pink pig smoker grill too. Please tell Walmart and Target 'hello' from a Pigue in Mississippi. Love the names. Missing you on 'Ladies of the Evening' days. Keep up the great blogs and may your adventure continue to be ah speee ah kaa.

    ReplyDelete