Sunday, May 16, 2010

Gold Nugget Triathlon - I did it!














































































The first few pictures are from our Teddy goes to Denali trip. The Bear and Teddy was so much fun I had to share. On our way to the Bed and Breakfast we past this driveway with two toilets on each side of the driveway. the lady told us she puts beautiful plants in them during the summer. She said it is a fun "sign post" for their house. "Just drive down the road until you see two toilets and turn in to our house." Interesting.
The Alaskan Gold Nugget Triathlon is the oldest all women's triathlon in the US. I can tell you why. Because the weather is perfect for a race (50 and sunny with some clouds), lots of hills and wind, and a lot of very athletic, outdoor women who are always looking for another challenge! The women I have met through the training and race day have been wonderful. This is how the Triathlon works. You hear through the grapevine the date that you need to sign up for the race. Everything is on-line and opens at 9 pm so everyone has an opportunity. Well, if you didn't sign up within the first 4 hours you did not get into the race. 1500 ladies and girls signed up within the four hours. Every year there is about 500 first time triathloners (that was me). You receive an email within three days informing you whether you got into the race or not. So begin training. I love working out but training is a whole other level. So I had to learn how to swim. This was very nerve racking. I studies on-line videos and then hired a swim teacher. I put my face in the water the first class. The Triathlon swim is almost 1/2 mile. Four weeks ago it took me 1 hour to complete and on race day it took me 16:45 secs. Adrenaline does wonders to your activity! So on Saturday we had to take bikes and "buckets" to the race site. I got a 5 gallon bucket from the food service department at school. It smelled a bit like jalapenos but I learned to live with it. Every racer had their stuff in the bucket next to their bike. Some real athletes left their towels on ground next to their bikes with shoes and socks ready to be put on. They wanted their transition time (between swim and riding or between riding and running) to get quick. We arrive on race day with helmets in hand and cameras to take pictures of this wonderful event. The first three pictures are the bike parking lot. Have you seen that many bikes in one place? 1500 bikes! 1500 buckets and 1500 eager ladies to race. There were 150 mother/daughter teams this year. Any girl and mom could race. The youngest young lady that past me on the trail was about 8 years old. Oh to be young! The swim was interesting since the pool had two sides of 25 m lanes separated by a 8 foot warm up pool. There were three swimmers to a lane. I was actually the fast swimmer in my lane. I beat my practice time by almost 3 mins. Then to the transition area (aka locker room to change for bike riding). Just imagine trying to get a wet speedo bathing suit off quickly. No it doesn't happen. What was worse was trying to put on a sports bra! In an hurry on a damp body it was tangled, rolled and just didn't go on without the assistance of a transition worker! There is no modesty in a race!!! the leggings went on okay and then out the door. They had red carpets from the swim area to the bike area (about 500 feet). I wore my flip flops but a lot of ladies went barefoot. My grandmother would be amazed that we went outside (50 degrees) in Alaska to bike ride 15 miles with WET HAIR!!! It was a bit cold. So I get to my bike and open the bucket and get my bike shoes and socks. Well, I thought it would be ideal to sit on the lid on the bucket. This would save me from the cold ground and blah blah blah. Nope! My weight caused the bucket lid to seal tightly on the bucket!!! Oh no, my jacket, glasses and protein bars were in the bucket. So in a panicked look, I found a male helper who was willing to use his keys to pry open the lid so I could continue my race. Wasn't he nice??? Then on my way to to the bike portion. We rode on Ft. Richardson Air Force Base for 15 miles. It was wonderful. Did I mention the AF Base was having a "case sale" (where military families could buy cases of food and items for a good price), and the Eagle Scouts were having their race as well. Very busy trails. Remember, I said Alaska has a lot of hills. Yes they do. I did mention the wind didn't I? The wind was gusting at about 30 mile per hours. The wind helped if it was behind you but it seemed that the wind was always in front of me. There were two very big hills at mile # 7 and #9. These hills went for about 1/2 mile on an uphill grade that never seemed to stop! I was averaging about 15 miles per hour except these two hills. I dropped down to about 7 miles per hour. So I have a WARMBOLDIAN MOMENT on my bike ride. I wanted to take my phone but I had no pockets on my leggings nor either of my jackets. So I said, just put it in your sports bra. Perfect. I forgot I brought along my comfortable bra not the tight fitting on. So I was on bike mile 5 when one of my co-workers past me and asked me if I was okay. My phone slid down shirt into my leggings. My phone was sitting in my crotch and I was trying to work it up to where I put it without stopping my ride. I did look unusual!! Oh well, I finished. The one area I forgot to practice was after riding fast for under an hour, dismounting a bike and trying to walk was VERY DIFFICULT!!! It took me the walk to my bike spot and then to the exit for the 5 K to be able to walk normal. I had a great race time going into the run portion. I will work on learning to run again before next year's Triathlon. I walk very fast but I am sure if I could run I would have had a great time. I past 20 people on the bike trail, and walking fast I past about 6 people. I finished and was thrilled. (that is me #329)! I can't wait for next year's race. Emily, co-worker, saw me at the finish line and asked what was up with my funny ride? I had to tell her and we all laughed! At the finish line they had the most delicious cut up oranges. I think I stood there and ate a whole case of oranges. The next picture is David's niece, Laura, and her daughter, Ivy. Laura finished the entire race in under 50 mins. I finished in just a smidgen over 2 hours. She is a real competitor. Ivy who started after me (her number was 500?) finished before me so she is like her mother - a competitor. Then Beth and I both said it was time to get a margarita and we headed home. I am resting comfortably on the couch and waiting for the buttocks muscles to feel normal again.
We have four days of school left. I am as ready as they are for school to be over. Then I take a week of graduate classes and leave for home on Memorial Day weekend. It will be nice to see all of you soon. I will be putting my Adventures on hold until next fall when I start another great year in Anchorage. Thank you for keeping in touch. I hope you have learned a bit.
One last funny for the closing. At dinner last week, a friend had out-of-town guests. The gentleman thought Alaska was an island. Go figure. Finally we figured it out. If you notice on the lower 48 weather maps they always show Hawaii and Alaska in little areas on the bottom left-hand side of the screen. He just naturally assumed Alaska was an island just like Hawaii. I think I will write to Al Roker on the Today Show and have them change the map! I am sure you all know that Alaska is not an island, Right?
See you soon.
Sheryl the Nanuq of the North
Soon to be the sweltering girl of the Midsouth!

1 comment: