Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Iditarod Re-Start in Willow, AK
















































































































































Happy Spring to everyone. It has been so warm up here (in the 40's and 50's with lots of sunny skies) most of the snow is melting. Highways and major roads are clear but the side streets and mountains still have plenty of snow. You can see from one of my pictures the tree outside my kitchen window has fuzzy buds already blooming. You will also notice that David got a big boy toy so he can have his own adventure. He said he looks good on the Harley! I hope he has many happy adventures.
So here are the pictures from the "Official" Iditarod start in Willow. This "Iditarod" event was so exciting! The energy, the excitement, dogs, the people all added to the restart hype. We took pictures of an "Alaskan Tail Gate" or should I say an "Iditarod SnowGate". Alaskans just love to have a good time and it almost always involves the outdoors. The dogs on the truck were part of the "Ride a Dog Sled" ride for the public to experience. These dogs are so friendly and LOVE to be hugged and petted. For some reason I was thinking they would be somewhat skittish and high strung since they want to run 1,000 miles without a second thought. As we walked around Big Lake we talked to the sheriffs, loved on their dogs, asked the dog handlers questions, watched the kids being pulled on the sled, stayed out of the way the hundreds of snowmobiles, oops, snow machines, and helicopters. Did you know the sled dogs have to be taught how to go to the bathroom on the run? Think about that for a minute? They don't have time to stop and squat? We learned that the dogs burn about 10,000 calories a day. Move over Michael Phelps! They get fed about 2,500 calories per pound which includes fat, moose, chicken skins, salmon steaks,
lamb, seal and mink oil. The dogs can not eat all these calories in just 3 meals a day so they have to stop about 6 or more times a day so the dogs get plenty of food and water. If the dogs are given too much of this high calorie food at once they tend to get diarrhea. Now who wants to be the lead dog?!!! Mushers have to carefully portion out this delicious stew and send the prepackaged meals to each of the 18 checkpoints for the dogs to consume as they make the 1,050 mile trek to Nome. Amazing. Now you are getting an idea why it costs so much to register in the Iditarod. The Mushers also have to pay to have the dogs flown back home from Nome, and the flight costs for any dog that may be left at a checkpoint.






























































































































































































































I hope you enjoy all the pictures. I had such a great time taking these photos. Musher #4 is Wattie McDonald, rookie year, finished 45th. Musher #5 is Zoya Denure, former model, who had to drop out along the trail; Musher #10 is Justin Sauids, Alaskan Rookie, also dropped during the trail. Musher #12 is Matt Hayashida finished 36th; #14 is crowd favorite Jamacian, Newton Marshall, who finished 47th; #15 is Jeff King who finished 3rd. The picture you see of Jeff King coming down the shoot was just before he "touched" my glove! I won't wash my glove! Just a few more notes, Dallas Seavey, 22 yrs old beat his legendary father, Mitch Seavey by two hours. Sam Detour, our sled dog musher from Thanksgiving event, finished 41st. Sam also received the "Badge of Courage" since he helped save the life of the unconscious musher. Way to go Sam!
You will notice the young lady who was "bored" with the whole ordeal. She is sitting on a frozen lake, 16 degrees with a pretty hefty breeze, and she was content reading a book and eating popcorn. I guess her parents made her join the family outing. Note the big bonfire on the lake. It had been burning for a couple of hours. It was definitely cold, because of the big breeze, on the lake. If you were moving it was fine but standing still you realized you were on a 5 foot deep frozen lake. The Viking fan had the beat seat along the mile long starting shoot. Next year I am taking a ladder to see above everyone else. The next pictures I took from the VIP shoot. This is the area next to the starting line. Please look carefully at these. Each dog team (16) had their very own handlers plus the team dog handlers. The handlers are really working hard to get the dogs to stop and wait for the 3,2,1, GO!. It is the very last second they unleash the extra harness and the dogs are ready to run to Nome. Take note of the 4 men that have to hold the sled at the starting line. The dogs have one thing on their minds, "Run!" so the sled holders have to work hard to keep the sled from moving off the start line. Amazing!!! Quinn Iten, musher #28, barely go to his sled when the words GO were said. He didn't seem to care that he was loosing a few seconds from his time. I guess with a race lasting 8 - 15 days what is a few seconds.
Karen Ramstead, #29, has the most photographed dog team. All of her dogs are white malamutes. Karen also withdrew during the race. Then there is DeeDee Janrowe, #31, is a local favorite. She recovered from breast cancer and then hit the Iditarod trail again. When she returns from this year's race, she will take care of her mother who was just diagnosed with breast cancer. Thus all her PINK. Each musher thanks, hugs, or shakes hands with the dog handlers and hugs each dog before the musher gets on the sled for the start. I have to say, attending the Iditarod was simply amazing! Gosh I have so much respect for the mushers and dogs and the 18,000 volunteers. Remember, I made the foot ointment that the dogs have under their "booties".

The last picture is from my school. This is the doorway to the playground. Snowshoes lined up ready for use. The kids finished a unit called Snowshoe Softball. They are quite good at running in these lovely boots. Also, Ben and Sarah, teachers, received a phone call on Saturday evening that they were selected to be the parents of a new baby girl. They will call her "Izzy". She is adorable. Sarah will be on "mommy leave" until next fall.
I can't believe it has been 8 months that I have been in Alaska. I have 8 more weeks until I return to Memphis for the summer. I will be returning to Alaska for one more year and that is exciting. David and I are just like several of our friends who has a spouse that works in a different city. Albeit, most of our friends can see their spouse within a 4 hour flight. David and I have a bit longer flight!. I want to share something with all of you. It was exactly one year ago when I was sitting on the couch reading my horoscope which I cut out and saved. I have showed this horoscope to David and few friends before I new about my adventure. I knew I needed a change but I had no idea what that change would look like. This is what it says and I quote, "Go ahead and smile because it's time for you to take a well-deserved break. Venus and the full Moon rising promises to be as delightful as you could possibly dream. There is a triple threat happening around the 22nd with Jupiter, Neptune, and Chiron meeting to support and sustain and nurture you. The trio allows you three times the chances to make one big dream come true. Persistence takes this cake. Soon you will be enjoying an even bigger slice of life. Place a calm image of a far-away place in the travel, and envision yourself writing to your friends and loved ones and telling them what a great time you are having." Was this adventure meant to be? This horoscope is taped to my dresser mirror and I glance or read it each day. Who would have guessed how right a horoscope can be? I am living a dream by teaching in Alaska and thank you Kathy for setting up my blog so I can write and share my adventures with all of you.
I hope you all have enjoyed reading about my adventures. I will continue up-dating my blog as close to each week as possible. I have a few more small trips to take before the end of May. Then when I return in August, I hope to particate in the Salmon Derby. Last year the winner won $45,000 for the big catch. I just want to catch one - no matter how small or how big.
Happy Spring,
Happy Easter,
Happy Passover
Hugs from
Sheryl the Nanuq of the North.


















2 comments:

  1. Hey, I see a nice comfy seat on that Harley for you. I am loving your blog and read every single word. I also feel like I'm right there with you except for the temps. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete