Saturday, February 6, 2010

Amazing Alaska - Feb 2010






















Happy February to you! Don't you just love the gorgeous colors of Alaska. The pink/blue sunset was about a week ago. I took it through my kitchen window so it is a bit blurry. The next two pictures are from the Chugiach Snow Trails. My friends, Beth #1, Beth #2, Stacy #1, Stacey #2 and myself have been skiing about 3 - 4 times per week. Some of the trails are lighted and some are not. We usually start skiing when it is still light (5 pm) and end about 6:15 pm when it is dark. We have been challenging ourselves each week to another trail. I think there are 15 trails there from easy to difficult. We like the easy trails and have ventured to the medium to medium difficult trails. We will definitely have perkier breasts by spring since we have discovered "cleavage" hill. It is a lot of work. We only take that trail once a week. It is a lot of arm strength. Our big race is tomorrow, Feb 6. It is a huge Ladies Only "ski for Women" to raise funds for the domestic violence shelter. There will be over 2,500 ladies skiing. Many of them will be in the super competitive heat, many will be in the sprint heat and our group will be in the "party" heat. We are the last to take off. The costume parade begins at 11:30 am and we are suppose to be completed and home in time to watch the Super Bowl game. I hope we can complete the 5K Ski in a decent time. Pictures will be on my next blog.
I have to include my "favorite little peeps". They are a hoot. They forget my name on the two weeks I am away at my other school, so when I return to APH school the kids say, "Hello Ms Health". They can't remember Warmbold but they remember I teach health. I think it is so cute. The older kids call me Ms. Sheryl or Ms W but my toothless first graders call me, Miff, therryl. No teeth - no "s" and no "f" sounds. We crack up a lot in our first grade classes singing healthy songs with no front teeth. I have the best job ever!!! The picture with all the cuties is taken during recess. I love to join them after lunch for recess. If you look CLOSELY, in the center background is Sai, a Samoan, who is playing football in a blue shirt. Today was a bit cool - 12 degrees but sunny and a gorgeous turquoise sky. Do you see Sai? Notice he is wearing a short sleeve shirt!!! Yikes. He doesn't own a coat. Neither does his father so I have learned to accept this craziness. He is wearing tennis shoes vs flip flops. There is a big change!! The three little ones just finished playing hop scotch. They are extremely creative when snow is a fact of life. They carve the hop scotch form in the snow and roll a big snowball into the squares. The last two boys, Denebvic and Lor Lor, are in 6th grade. Don't you love that sky?? I know you have heard me say that the lower 48 has been receiving more snow than Alaska. Well, I must have complained enough because Friday we received 6 inches, 12 inches over night and then another 10 inches today, Saturday. It hasn't stopped snowing since Friday morning and it is 9:15 pm Saturday. I am thrilled. It is beautiful when snow falls. The Natives tell me they can tell I am from the lower 48 because when it snows I break out singing Christmas songs. Rannie said, "You equate snow with Christmas, up here we think of snow as another day." Interesting. See what I am learning. I am trying not to sing Christmas songs or any song for that matter. As most of you all know I can't carry a tune or melody so it doesn't sound good when I sing.
Amazing Alaska facts. Well, I am sure you all have read it in the headlines. The 2010 US Census has begun. Were you aware of that? The census started in Noorvik, Alaska on Feb 1! Why Noorvik? Well, we are the farthest west and most eastern state in the USA. Since we are definitely in winter mode, the float planes, snow machines, and dog sleds are busy every day. And to be able to reach the bush villagers they decided they have to take the census in the winter. In the spring the families head to fish camp and can't be found as easily. Now, in case you are not aware of the transient lifestyles of the bush/village people, they are on the move all the time so there were many census teams out there to poll as many people as possible. They interviewed the first person taken for the 2010 Census - an 84 year old Elder in Noorvik. The TV also interviewed the poll takers and they were dressed for subzero temps. Barrow this week was minus 65 and then windchill. Fairbanks was minus 34 and then windchill. I don't think I want to take the census.
Another amazing Alaska fact: The Gold for the Vancouver medals for the Olympics came from Alaska's Pogo Mine. Pogo Mine is located about an hour southeast of Fairbanks towards Canada border. A little bit of Alaska will go home to many countries.
And, if you remember, I have been extremely lucky winning contests since I have been in Alaska. I won the Lion King tickets, dinner tickets for four different restaurants, and many more things. So I have entered another betting pool. The winner receives $300,000. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I have purchased many tickets ($2.25 each guess) for the Nenana Ice Melt. This is a tradition for the last 94 years. The little city of Nenana, located an hour southwest of Fairbanks, has placed a tripod flagpole on the frozen Tenana River. The tripod is attached to a clock mechanism on shore. When the ice breaks in late April or early May, the tripod gives away and trips the clock and the time is recorded. The winner closest to the seconds wins the $300,000. How much fun is this? Does this sound much more like a community fund raiser rather than a lottery? I am falling in love with the Alaska way.
When I was taking my Project Ki'l class and several of the Native villagers came and talked to our class. The Native ladies explained that it is their responsibilities to teach the younger girls how to sew mukluks, outerwear and skin otters. They are extremely patient. There is no time table to villagers. It may take a young girl 10 attempts to get the first sewing steps correct. This Native lady said they have a phrase they use often. "Don't worry Sheryl, you will learn to sew before you are married!!" or Don't worry you will be healed (from an injury) before you are married!". I loved this philosophy. Why do we all have to be on such a rush - rush schedule. So therefore, you can often hear someone who is tardy or late to a meeting come in and say, "I am on Village time." I am sure I will use that phrase eventually during school.
I hope you have enjoyed learning a bit more about how wonderful the great state of Alaska has to offer. I hope you survived your weather this past month. I know some of you are under another snow attack but just keep telling yourself, this will melt and be gone soon. Alaska has snow from November through April/May. If you want to give my your guess for the Ice Melt, send it to me and I will buy you a ticket. Remember it has to be down to the second.
Have a wonderful month. Enjoy Valentines Day. Hugs to you all
Sheryl the Nanuqk

No comments:

Post a Comment