Monday, January 18, 2010

Snowmobile Fun!








Happy Martin Luther King Day!
I have to admit this day means a bit more to me since I have had the opportunity to visit the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis. If you haven't been to the Civil Rights Museum, please go. It is terrific and very educational.

These are pictures from our families snow machine trip at Thanksgiving. Isn't our guide cute? Those white marks are the big, Super BIG snow flakes. It snowed so hard and fast we were in fresh snow all day and eventually the snow ended up to our mid thighs. I feel in the snow drift and couldn't get out. Every place I put my arm to get out I only sunk deeper into the snow. The kids had to finally help me out. Our family has had plenty of experience snowmobiling but never in snow this fluffy and deep. As you can see from the next picture we got stuck in this deep stuff. This one particular spot took the boys 10 mins to dig the machine out so we could continue with our ride. You can see how high the snow is by Tyler's thigh is almost completely covered. He wore the snow machiners camo "black and white". The white so you can't see his legs from the snow and black on top to find him in the snow. The last picture is another beautiful sunset. Jenna took this from the car window on our trip home. Not bad from a car window.
This blog will be about my life in Anchorage. I love it up here. There were two weeks when the lower 48 states had colder and snowier weather than we had up here in Anchorage. We finally got snow last week. I am amazed at our nightly news. The weather person gets about 15 minutes to do the weather because Alaska is so big. There are about 6 sections of Alaska so by the time the weatherperson talks about the panhandle (Ketchikan) the Aleutian Islands, Kenai Peninsula, Barrow (the farthest North point), The interior sections (Fairbanks) and then Anchorage area. The inland areas are about 25 - 45 degrees colder than Anchorage. Last week, Barrow was minus 40 temp and minus 65 with windchill. Brrrr that is cold. Anyway, you would think we should expect snow. But the weather person makes it sound like it amazing that we would be getting snow. We LIVE IN ALASKA for goodness sake. Along with the snow comes the ditch divers. I counted 9 cars stuck in the ditches on my way home from school last week. I travel on a 6 lane highway for 6 miles and there were so many accidents. The policeman who lives below me said it is because most of them are military and are not use to driving on these conditions. I think the Military should give them driving lessons before they can drive here. So if your car is in the ditch you can only get your car out at certain times a day. You must contact the local highway police to get permission to remove your car. I think the time is from 11 - 2 Tues - Thurs only. So the other day a tow truck was trying to remove a stuck car but he ran overtime and was getting a ticket from the police because it was almost 2:30. Crazy!!!
I just finished my two week rotation at the "more native" school of my two schools. I LOVE teaching there. Here are some interesting things I have discovered. These kids just want to be recognized, loved, and taught. If you walk through the halls and smile and say good morning and their name they smile so big and give you a hug. Most of them can't remember Warmbold so they call me "Ms Health". Isn't that sweet?!!! Each teacher at this school, including me, greet each child at the door and shake their hands and welcome them into to class. They are so cute. Here is another thing that is interesting. The Natives use the English language as it is phonetically pronounced. This is what took me so long to discover. Silly isn't it but so simple. So here is what I mean. I have three little girls called Alecia, Alicia, Aleseea. They all pronounce their names the same. A (soft a) Le (leeee) C (see or sea) A (soft a). In my lower 48 classes a girl with this name, Alecia, would pronounce it A (soft a) Le (leee) C (she) A (soft a). Up here there is no CH or SH. I am trying to think of other names but if I just pronounce each name as it would be phonetically pronounced I have it correct. Fifooa (Fi) Foo A. or Nikaoy (Nick) A (soft a) Oy - like Chips a Hoy brand. or Nilaniamoopooua (we call her Nilani) for short.
We received a new student this week. His name is Devine Sampson Austin. A little Native. Devine is a dwarf, shorter than 22 inches tall. His legs are about 8 inches and he has a difficult time going up stairs. He has never been to school so he has no academic skills, no social skills, and is 8 years old. He has been put in 1st grade because of no skills and the other children accept him nicely. One little girl, Shayntayia said, "I thought I was small but you are really small!" Kids say what they feel. Again, another first for me.
I got to watch, briefly, our PE class participating another great activity. Snowshoe softball. The kids all wear snowshoes and play regular softball. They run the bases on snowshoes. I didn't take my camera when I went to watch them. I hope to get a photo at my next school. I am sure I will have to try snowshoeing since I haven't done it before.
My friends and I have been xcountry skiing all weekend. Saturday we skied in Anchorage, Sunday we went to Palmer at Hatcher Pass and Monday night we skied Chugiak (close by). I have found an exercise I really enjoy. It is free, fun, beautiful views and a great dose of outdoors. My son, Tyler, would never participate because it is a lot of work!!!! I am confident I will have firm breasts after this ski season. It is hiking only on snow with long skinny skis. The glide is so much fun. When we went to Hatcher Pass to ski (about an hour up the Alaskan mountain range) the sky was turquoise blue and the freshly fallen snow, groomed paths, and delicious food at the lodge. We had to ski uphill (about 1 mile) and the work was worth it when we got to the top. We skied around the Gold Mine (still works) and then continued around the trails all surrounded by a beautiful mountain range and glistening snow. We were about 3500' feet above sea level. Amazing. At one end of the Mountains, there were people taking helicopters up to the top of the mountain range and skiing down (Extreme skiing). Others hiked up (with skis in backpack) and then skied down. This one guy had his dog hike up with him and then his dog ran after in his tracks as he skied down. It took him almost 20 mins to get down. We watched from inside the lodge eating homemade soup!! The sledding is awesome too. The kids and parents would be dropped off at the top of the first mountain and then sled down. It takes about 10 mins to get down and a truck waited below to bring you back up the mountain. This all costs $2 per person all day long. What a deal!!!! Our local high school (Chugiak) has about 25 miles of groomed and lit trails behind the school. The Chalet is open until 11 pm. It is so close and a great workout. I have been sleeping so well with the outdoor playground. For those of you who can't sleep, come on up and night ski with me and you will learn how to fall asleep soundly!!!!
Our sunrise is about 9:30 am now (vs 10 am) and the sunset has gone from 4:15 to about 5:30 pm. The white snow also makes it seem brighter all the time. Everyone is looking forward to the spring solstice (end of March) until the solstice where we get closer to having equal day and night times. The summer solstice is in June but the Natives tell me by the end of March we will see a lot more sunshine and later sunsets. Yipee!!!
I hope my blog finds all of you in good health and having fun times. David has been "golfing great" and so he is very happy. Jenna is now working 3 days from home and seems to enjoy that. Tyler is looking forward to his spring and summer activities. So all is well with the Warmbold family. Enjoy. I will see you next week.
Sheryl the Nanuq



No comments:

Post a Comment